Top 10 modern day Jane Austen variations:
1. Boots and Backpacks – Pride and Prejudice the Appalachian Trail, Roughly – KC Kahler
2. Sway – Melanie Stanford
3. A Weekend with Mr Darcy – Victoria Connelly
4. The Secret Diaries of Lizzie Bennet – Bernie Su and Kate Rorick
5. Austenland – Shannon Hale
6. You Give Love a Bad Name – Marilyn Brant
7. Fitzwilliam Darcy, Rock Star – Heather Lynn Rigaud
8. That Girl, Darcy – James Ramos
9. The Jane Austen Book Club – Karen Joy Fowler
10. Darcy and Elizabeth: Timeless – Denise O’Hara
Except Sway, the rest are happened to be Pride and Prejudice variations which is a coincidence as I read what I can put my hands on.
Sway is a Persuasion variation and actually I could swap the first 2 books on the list. The only reason I put ‘Boots’ for first is because I love hiking and however I am also obsessed with the piano I can’t play. Yes. Yes, I know…weak argument, but I had to decide somehow. 🙂
A Weekend with Mr Darcy was my first modern day JA variation, and I loved it. Since then I just can’t stop reading JA fan fictions.
The Secret Diaries of Lizzie Bennet started as a vlog and I liked it very much, so I bought the book and it’s well written. Austenland could be about any dedicated Janeites, it is very close to me, shame I miss the romance part…
You Give Love a Bad Name – I bought it because of the title. I’m obsessed with Bon Jovi almost as much as with Jane Austen, so I thought if the title is a Bon Jovi song, it can’t be bad and luckily I love it.
A friend recommended me Fitzwilliam Darcy, Rock Star as her favourite modern day variation. Rock music and pride and prejudice cannot go wrong.
That Girl, Darcy is a very sweet story where is a gender and financial situation swap; written in first person singular with lots of skateboarding and nerdness -amusing.
The Jane Austen Book Club is another favourite of mine as it has everything in it, a bit like Austenland.
Darcy and Elizabeth: Timeless is very interesting and quite well written sci-fi which starts in the regency era and with a shocking and unusual turn of events continues nowadays. I loved especially the second part, very funny.